What're You Guys Using For "Stand-alone" Preamps?

A home for all the other parts of the happy equation that we call bass. Factory stuff, home built, kits - it's all good.

What're You Guys Using For "Stand-alone" Preamps?

Postby Mr. Mom » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:43 am

My new L2k sounds sooo good and plays sooo well. But it's too hot for my Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp in Series/Active (and I LOVE series/active) so the pre has to go.

What are you guys using for preamps? Pedals, rackmounts....It's all fair game at this point. I do prefer clean. But, I also really enjoy the Ampeg type of tube-ness. IOW, I'm pretty flexible. :mrgreen:
Mr. Mom

Re: What're You Guys Using For "Stand-alone" Preamps?

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:26 am

Mr. Mom wrote:My new L2k sounds sooo good and plays sooo well. But it's too hot for my Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp in Series/Active (and I LOVE series/active) so the pre has to go.

Are you sure the preamp has to go? Granted, the L-2000 is hot, but it can be turned down (try about 80%) as can the input of the preamp. Just to the right of the input jack is the Pad button. Pressing that attenuates (cuts) the input level so that the preamp isn't overpowered. It should be used for most active basses, and certainly a G&L L series. There is also the gain control that you can adjust.

What are you guys using for preamps? Pedals, rackmounts....It's all fair game at this point. I do prefer clean. But, I also really enjoy the Ampeg type of tube-ness. IOW, I'm pretty flexible. :mrgreen:

I've used the old ART Tube Channel and the more recent ART Pro Channel. Both are designed to be mic or instrument preamps and both serve well. I've also used a solid state BBE B-Max which is very good, but the EQ was tough to get my head wrapped around.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Mom » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:28 am

Ken, I greatly prefer the volume wide open. Not only does it sound better to my ears but it makes for an easy mix for gigs. Consistent volume/tone throughout the night = Good!

IMO, YMMV, etc etc.

The SVP-Pro Gain Pad could use more "pad" in general. Any bass I've played through it has been padded and the Gain about 9-10:00-ish. The L2k just puts it over the edge.

And, let's be honest.....New gear is fun!!!
Mr. Mom

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:26 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:Ken, I greatly prefer the volume wide open. Not only does it sound better to my ears but it makes for an easy mix for gigs. Consistent volume/tone throughout the night = Good!

Okay. I know you've been around the block a couple times, but I kinda needed to throw that "Turn it down a tad" out there. Let's face it - that's a damned fine preamp!

The SVP-Pro Gain Pad could use more "pad" in general. Any bass I've played through it has been padded and the Gain about 9-10:00-ish. The L2k just puts it over the edge.

Well then, there you go. I may not be your best source of preamp advice simply because I do keep the volume backed off a bit. I think TDR1138 likes 'em dimed, so hopefully he'll chime in.

And, let's be honest.....New gear is fun!!!

ROTFLMAO!

THAT'S the Bruce we've come to know and love over the years!

Speaking of gear... Remember those 12" drivers you sent me? Still going strong. Thanks!!!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby deltafred » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:00 pm

For the last 2.5 years I have been using and ART Pro Channel II (into a Peavey IPR1600 PA) and have been very happy with it.

Then I met up with our drummer's first bass player (from 1964) who has gone all lightweight - class D bass amp weighing a few pounds and a Barefaced Midget cab. This got me thinking (GASsing) for a class D bass amp, not that the pre/power amp solution was that heavy at 24lbs, more that it was nearly as big as my fEARful 12/6 cab.

After a couple of months looking and procrastinating I finally pulled the trigger an a Galien Krugger MB800 (4.9lbs) which I received just in time for our New Years Eve gig. The rack amp has not left the house since.
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby Mr. Mom » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:30 pm

deltafred wrote:For the last 2.5 years I have been using and ART Pro Channel II (into a Peavey IPR1600 PA) and have been very happy with it.

Then I met up with our drummer's first bass player (from 1964) who has gone all lightweight - class D bass amp weighing a few pounds and a Barefaced Midget cab. This got me thinking (GASsing) for a class D bass amp, not that the pre/power amp solution was that heavy at 24lbs, more that it was nearly as big as my fEARful 12/6 cab.

After a couple of months looking and procrastinating I finally pulled the trigger an a Galien Krugger MB800 (4.9lbs) which I received just in time for our New Years Eve gig. The rack amp has not left the house since.

I had an Art Tube Channel (the 1u unit) and it was really, really, really nice. (Why did I sell that one? Oh yeah..... :mrgreen: )

As usual I leave info out that would be helpful to get more specific advice. My bad.

So here's more info:
--I'd love the pre to be useful for upright and be able to handle the tookay. Might be a long shot as the my Full Circle pickup on my upright, IIRC, needs the opposite of my L2k. As in less padding?
--FX loop for my fDeck Series III HPF. LOVE that damn thing.
--A decent built in DI.
--I use powered PA cabs for my bass rig when I need them. Powered EV LiveX 1x12's. They sound great, BTW. They've killed my rig GAS. So an "amp" is not needed.

Radial has some nice two channel pedal-preamps. And some other companies make that kind of stuff. So maybe something like the Radial? My current rack bag is 2u. I'd love not to have to buy a new rack. I've found that a 1u rack preamp with the fDeck velcroed to the top works well for me, so a 1u preamp is what I'm looking for ATM.
Mr. Mom

Postby Mr. Mom » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:32 pm

BTW: Thanks for the replies! I appreciate any/all advice!

And Ken, glad you're still using those drivers! They were not going to be used around here so it's good they found a "forever home"!!
Mr. Mom

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:09 pm

Got any experience with a SansAmp?

We talked about the BBE Acoustimax here. It's aimed at acoustic players, but will work very well for bass. I believe you could take it directly to a power amp.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:05 am

Actually, I did have Sansamp! Long time ago. And I didn't like it.

I'm going to check out that BBE thing you mentioned. Never heard of them.

That notch filter might be cool if it goes low enough. Carve out spot where the kick drum sits in the mix on electric. Get rid of feedback on my upright.
Mr. Mom

Postby deltafred » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:59 am

Very few pedals produce enough output signal to drive a power amp to it's full output voltage swing (hence power). They are more designed to plug into a regular guitar/bass amp input or the effects loop.

Not sure what you are driving so the above may be irrelevant.
deltafred
Global Mod

Next

Return to Amps & Gear & Stuff