What Powers Your G&L ?

A home for all the other parts of the happy equation that we call bass. Factory stuff, home built, kits - it's all good.

Re: What Powers Your G&L ?

Postby Nedmundo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:41 pm

I use G-K 700RB-II and MB-500 heads into one or two G-K Neo112 (first gen) cabs. I love the cabs, which are light but sound huge, especially with the monstrous 700RB-II. The MB-500 is brighter and not quite as "hefty" sounding, but it still sounds great, especially when I tame it by cutting the highs and high mids a bit. And the convenience is tough to beat. I also have a Roland Cube Bass 100, which I've only used on stage once. With good PA support, it could work fine as a stage monitor, but a Neo 112/MB-500 rig weighs only a few pounds more, so why bother?

My only MFD bass is an SB-2, and it matches well with the G-K stuff, which has lots of full range power and clarity to keep up with the MFD split-coil. My other G&L is a JB, and the G-K gear is voiced beautifully for Jazz basses. That's one reason I bought the JB.

Here's the SB-2 with a single cab rig, which works great in small clubs:

Nedmundo

Postby tonestatone » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:28 pm

Gday guys

I am very new to the G&L world since I only purchased the L2K 3 weeks ago and still waiting for my new Ti Flats to arrive and then a set up of the bass. So far I have only played through my TC Electronic RH450 with the RS212 but will try it on the Ashdown ABM 450 210 combo later. I am still in my honey moon phase with the L2K with lots of experiment to do.. haha looking forward to it. I must admit even with so little experience, I love the L2K tone/sound coming out of the RH450 and RS212. I try to play softly most of the time but I definately feel like there is a beast waiting in the corner of my room ready to pounce on me or any unsuspecting audience if and when I decide to dig in.

btw sorry for the cartoony photo of my rigs.. LOL only photos I have currently. :shock: and photo was taken b4 the L2K so will have to retake some new photos with the new edition to the family.
Attachments
2011-09-18 10.48.58 PaperCamera.jpg
2011-09-18 10.48.58 PaperCamera.jpg (206.71 KiB) Viewed 2534 times
tonestatone

Postby Simon C » Mon May 31, 2021 2:04 pm

This is an old thread, but I'm new(ish) so I thought I'd join in.

At home I largely play through my Carlsbro Colt keyboard amp. It works pretty well as a bass amp with an aux in to jam along to, and head phones if it is getting a bit late in the day.

In church the on-stage bass amp (used for monitoring) was a Trace Elliot. I played my P-bass (not a G&L) through it and sent the sound guys the post signal from it. We did have a wedge which I preferred for monitoring as it sounded good to me and I could point it at my ears - but it stopped working, so it was back to the Trace Elliot, pointing at my chest / navel

I talked one of the electronic wizzes in the church into fixing the wedge (at least a year after it stopped working) and started using it again. I noted a few of you guys mentioning GK so looked them up and thought "that looks like the wedge in church." I played in the service yesterday and sure enough it is a Gallien Krueger Backline 210 combo. I think it is 300W 4ohm. They've installed it in a semi permanent position. Unfortunately not as a wedge, so it's now pointing at my knees - but it's an excuse to turn it up a bit :D

I think they are taking the signal pre rather than post, but I think that's ok off the L2K. I think for the p-bass they should probably take it post, but as I'm only using it as a back-up that's ok.

Anyway - I guess it's a long way of saying: I preferred the GK to the Trace Elliot, even before I knew what the GK was, and it is the Gallien Kreuger Backline 210 that's powering my L2K.
Simon C

Postby jglunt2112 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:15 pm

I also play in church, and our worship band sometimes plays outside gigs. I began buying G&Ls in early 2018 and currently own 4 (2 Fullertons and 2 Tributes). I have actually never played any of them through an amp. I run through a Trace Elliot Transit B preamp pedal direct into one of our two systems. In church, it's JBL EON615s for the mains with a QSC sub. When we play away from church, we use a pair of Bose L1 systems with their Sub 2 subs. Both systems use PreSonus Studio Live mixers controlled from tablets, so we each have our own tablet and earbuds to control our personal monitor mix. It works great--almost all the time.

Thanks for spotting this thread, Simon. I hadn't even realized it existed until I spotted your recently dated post here.
jglunt2112

Postby One Way » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:22 am

Mesa Subway D800+ w/ Subway 115 and 210 cabs
One Way

Previous

Return to Amps & Gear & Stuff