G&L L-200E hardware

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

G&L L-200E hardware

Postby jla2111 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:01 pm

HI i am new to this forum and have been trying for a while now to find out an answer for a question i have about a G&L l-2000E 1981 that i am contemplating buying.
question:
i noticed that the bridge is black it looks to be a smooth black finish G&L bridge and all other hardware on the bass is chrome, so would anyone happen to know if G&L mixed their hardware parts in the early eighties, serial number on the bridge starts B00 so it dates back and the neck and headstock is pre lawsuit. However, every other one i have seen pretty much has matching hardware. is there another way to check to see if these are original to the instrument i just have no clue i guess it could be a one off? any help is much appreciated.
jla2111

Re: G&L L-200E hardware

Postby bdgotoh » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Yes, that's quite typical. My recollection is they had all chrome at first, then smooth black, then crinkle black finish, then after the controls went rearmount, it went back to chrome for everything but the neck plate. I've had several L-2000Es that had a black bridge and chrome everything else, here's the one I have right now:
bdgotoh

Postby jla2111 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:00 pm

BIG THANX !!!! That is a sweet bass!!! Would be amazing to find one like that! Thanks again for the info!!!
jla2111

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:04 pm

bdgotoh wrote:Yes, that's quite typical. My recollection is they had all chrome at first, then smooth black, then crinkle black finish, then after the controls went rearmount, it went back to chrome for everything but the neck plate. I've had several L-2000Es that had a black bridge and chrome everything else, here's the one I have right now:

Jeez, Brad. Do you look for 'em, or do they just kind of find you? :mrgreen:

My understanding was that the ones with mis-matched hardware color on the front were rather the oddballs. Maybe that's me as the oddball.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby bdgotoh » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:24 pm

Pure luck, Ken. It came up with a very reasonable BIN on ebay recently, I happened to log on minutes after it posted and couldn't resist. Here's a pic of my old 1982 L2000E in gold metallic with ebony board, it also had the black bridge and the rest was chrome. So I don't know how common it is but I've had at least two like that.

bdgotoh

Postby jfh4242 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:40 am

jla2111 wrote:HI i am new to this forum ...

Welcome to BbL, we are glad to have you aboard!

John
jfh4242
Global Mod

Postby jla2111 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:34 pm

Thanx John, and whoa Brad you do have the G&L luck both of those basses are killer!
jla2111

Return to G&L Basses