G&L El Toro info

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

G&L El Toro info

Postby EXKid » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:30 am

Hi all, First post.

Some years ago through horse trading I ended up acquiring a red EL Toro with matching headstock, though I never received i until yesterday. This is the first G&L I've ever had, having played a Music Man Stingray for the past 15 years or so.

Serial # ( on the neckplate, I assume that's the serial number) B015013

It has some pretty major issues aside from the obvious electronics overhaul (EMG Actives). I got it rather cheap having traded it for an old Fender 215 cabinet. The reason was the neck. It's got a twist, and as a result of folks trying to crank on the neck a lot in order to bring the neck back into a playable state, the truss rod nut -hex hole- is stripped.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do about the neck other than take to a few reputable luthiers around town and see if they can help out. The nut I think I can get a replacement.

The electronics however, I'm a bit at a loss. Unless I can find something that will fill the empty space up, I guess I'll leave them in there. Does anyone make pickup rings for jazz pickups? :? Those mini-humbuckers I don't think are all that readily available. But if anyone knows where I can find replacement electronics and a schematic, I'd appreciate it. Also, I'm interested in having it dated, though I know there is a thread for that somewhere.

Thanks.
EXKid

Re: G&L El Toro info

Postby Retroman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:01 am

Give Dave a call at warpedneck.com and discuss your neck's issues. He may very well be able to repair it. He uses a proprietary heat treatment process that can bring most warped necks' back around. He recently repaired my '88 L2000's neck that had a rise from the 14th fret all the way to the neck/body joint (very typical). My local Fender Custom Shop authorized luthier said the neck was hopeless and was absolutely amazed when I showed him the bass after Dave fixed it: http://www.warpedneck.com/vintage_instr ... epair.html
Retroman

Postby bdgotoh » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:02 am

bummer about the pickups and controls. I'd guess thats an '85-'89 Toro from the black bridge and long truss rod nut. StewMac has a replacement truss rod nut here: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/ ... d_Nut.html

The pickups and controls are nearly impossible to find. I've seen them on ebay occasionally but it's less than once per year.
bdgotoh

Postby jfh4242 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:30 am

EXKid, welcome to Bassesbyleo! We are glad to have you aboard!

John
jfh4242
Global Mod

Postby EXKid » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:34 am

Thanks for the links guys. I'll check them out.

Glad to be here.
EXKid

Postby Basscase » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:46 pm

This is just a shot in the dark... but is it possible that the SB-2 bridge pickup would fit the El Toro holes? If so the SB-2 pickups could probably be purchased through a dealer.
Basscase

Postby bdgotoh » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:02 pm

Basscase wrote:This is just a shot in the dark... but is it possible that the SB-2 bridge pickup would fit the El Toro holes? If so the SB-2 pickups could probably be purchased through a dealer.

Nope, the SB-2 bridge pickup is 1/4" longer than an El Toro pickup.
bdgotoh

Postby EXKid » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:26 am

That would likely mean that the pole spacing isn't the same as well?
EXKid

Postby bdgotoh » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:55 am

EXKid wrote:That would likely mean that the pole spacing isn't the same as well?

Actually, the pole spacing is very close. The SB-2 bridge pickup is just a tiny bit wider but it's nearly the same. The overall length difference is due to how the coils are wound. The SB-2 is a big, flat single coil that has a longer coil than the two skinny coils in the Toro pickup.
bdgotoh

Return to G&L Basses