L-2000 wiring mods

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

L-2000 wiring mods

Postby neepheid » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:58 am

Hi there

Nothing new to report, but I just thought that I'd mention that I had my L-2000 Tribute rewired with a 4PDT on/on/on switch to give series/single (inner)/parallel as per DavePlaysBass's modification #7. Very pleased with the results - some new sounds to play with and my tech (who sickeningly is better at both soldering and bass playing than me) was loving the following combination - single (inner), both pickups, active. The individual pickups in single coil mode offer some nice sounds too - brighter and less middy than in full on humbucking mode, and more variation between back and front pickups than their inner positions might suggest.

I was going back and forth in my head between going inner or outer coils, but I think I made the right choice.
neepheid

Re: L-2000 wiring mods

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:29 am

neepheid wrote:Nothing new to report, but I just thought that I'd mention that I had my L-2000 Tribute rewired with a 4PDT on/on/on switch to give series/single (inner)/parallel as per DavePlaysBass's modification #7. Very pleased with the results - some new sounds to play with and my tech (who sickeningly is better at both soldering and bass playing than me) was loving the following combination - single (inner), both pickups, active. The individual pickups in single coil mode offer some nice sounds too - brighter and less middy than in full on humbucking mode, and more variation between back and front pickups than their inner positions might suggest.

Are you still using the G&L preamp, with its active/passive switch?

I was going back and forth in my head between going inner or outer coils, but I think I made the right choice.

All depends on what you're after. Outers give you the separation of a Jazz bass. Inners can kinda-sorta approximate the StingRay pickup location, though not the SR sound.

Congrats on a successful mod!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby neepheid » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:54 am

Ken Baker wrote:Are you still using the G&L preamp, with its active/passive switch?

Yes, still going through that as and when required. All that changed was the middle switch.

All depends on what you're after. Outers give you the separation of a Jazz bass. Inners can kinda-sorta approximate the StingRay pickup location, though not the SR sound.

Congrats on a successful mod!

Ken...

Yeah, I ended up going for inners mostly because both of them together made more sense as it's almost like a third pickup, and because of a more positive outcome with the inner coils setting on my Traben Chaos versus the outer.
neepheid

Postby keithrobbo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:58 pm

Hi

I too am now thinking seriously about modding my Tribute L2K with the 4PDT on/on/on switch for the sole reason of adding 'outer' single coils mode to the existing series and parallel pallettes. My main motivation for considering this is that I love the 70s Jazz bass sound (where pickup spacing is wider than 60s (and the rest) models due to bridge pickup being slightly closer to the bridge). Lining up my L2K next to my 1993 USA Jazz, it looks as thought the outer coil on L2K neck pickup is just a little bit further back than that of the Jazz and also the L2K bridge pickup outer coil is significantly closer to the bridge than the Jazz's, so it might kind of work?

I suppose my question is. Does anybody have experience of the mod with 'outer' single coil modes and does it get anywhere near approximating the 70s Jazz bass sound, or should I just accept that my existing Fender Jazz (with 'standard' pickup spacing) will still sound more like a 70s Jazz! I'd quite like to think I don't need to resort to buying a 70s re-issue Fender, or Geddy Lee sig, or Marcus Miller sig to get 'the' sound.

Note - I'm not interested in using the single coil mode with anything other than both pickups on. I always prefer dual coils when a pickup is soloed, with the exception of the P-bass split coil pickup, which just has a complete quality of its own and never disappoints (me, anyway!).

Cheers

Keith
keithrobbo

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:39 pm

keithrobbo wrote:I too am now thinking seriously about modding my Tribute L2K with the 4PDT on/on/on switch for the sole reason of adding 'outer' single coils mode to the existing series and parallel pallettes. My main motivation for considering this is that I love the 70s Jazz bass sound (where pickup spacing is wider than 60s (and the rest) models due to bridge pickup being slightly closer to the bridge). Lining up my L2K next to my 1993 USA Jazz, it looks as thought the outer coil on L2K neck pickup is just a little bit further back than that of the Jazz and also the L2K bridge pickup outer coil is significantly closer to the bridge than the Jazz's, so it might kind of work?

Cop the sound of a Jazz? Nope. Ain't gonna happen. I have a canned response.

I suppose my question is. Does anybody have experience of the mod with 'outer' single coil modes and does it get anywhere near approximating the 70s Jazz bass sound, or should I just accept that my existing Fender Jazz (with 'standard' pickup spacing) will still sound more like a 70s Jazz! I'd quite like to think I don't need to resort to buying a 70s re-issue Fender, or Geddy Lee sig, or Marcus Miller sig to get 'the' sound.

Here are some toys to play with. Lot's of possibilities on that page, but nothing to make a G&L L series sound like a Jazz - even with single coil on the "outers". The circuit that I used on my L-2500 is the bottom one. The bass sounds awesome in SC mode, but it's clearly a G&L with that wonderfully wooly sound.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby keithrobbo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:06 pm

Hi Ken

Yeah, I just read your canned response - 'can my G&L sound like a...' literally a few minutes after submitting my last post and I thought 'oops, I know what's coming next!'

To be honest I love all the standard dual coil sounds on the L2K so much that, I don't think I'll tamper with it now.

As well as being a bass player, I also compose, record and produce music and so often think about the production/sound of particular tracks and what kind of bass sound would work on each one i.e. a Jazz, P-Bass, 'Ray etc. Even in a live playing situation I often feel like picking up a different bass per song (although this isn't practical and also makes you look like an idiot with too many guitars), so having ultimate flexibility with one bass does have some attractions.

However, I do feel that my recently acquired Tribby L2K may become my new live workhorse, taking over from my trusty Precision, by just having that greater tonal palette and being built like a tank. Don't think I've owned a bass so heavy - good job I'm not a small guy - the Tribby feels like it would snap the P-Bass in two should they ever come to blows!

I just want to say that this is a great forum and I've picked up a lot of tips and useful info in less than 2 weeks of joining it. Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Keith
keithrobbo

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:48 pm

keithrobbo wrote:Yeah, I just read your canned response - 'can my G&L sound like a...' literally a few minutes after submitting my last post and I thought 'oops, I know what's coming next!'

I used to hand type a response each time the question was asked. Then the guy asked if his Bongo could be made to sound like a "P". I built the canned page in his honor! I own a Bongo 5HHp, and I tried all sorts of different settings just to see if I could get close. NOT! An L-2000 can get closer.

As well as being a bass player, I also compose, record and produce music and so often think about the production/sound of particular tracks and what kind of bass sound would work on each one i.e. a Jazz, P-Bass, 'Ray etc. Even in a live playing situation I often feel like picking up a different bass per song (although this isn't practical and also makes you look like an idiot with too many guitars), so having ultimate flexibility with one bass does have some attractions.

It does indeed have some attraction, and it's that flexibility that makes people ask if their new & modern bass can cop a "P" or "J". The fact is that, within the realm of the voicing of the pickups, you can sometimes get pretty close; particularly to a Precision. You just can't get it there. Part of the problem too are old school sound engineers that only know how to work with the sound of a Precision or Jazz.

However, I do feel that my recently acquired Tribby L2K may become my new live workhorse, taking over from my trusty Precision, by just having that greater tonal palette and being built like a tank. Don't think I've owned a bass so heavy - good job I'm not a small guy - the Tribby feels like it would snap the P-Bass in two should they ever come to blows!

My old L-2000, now off playing in a CW band in Japan, was a heavyweight at about 12 pounds. With that heft came some great tone. Some days I miss her, then I pick up my sub 9 pound L-2500.

I just want to say that this is a great forum and I've picked up a lot of tips and useful info in less than 2 weeks of joining it. Keep up the good work!

Thank you VERY much Keith. It's an ongoing construction project, so the more participants the bigger and better it gets. Thanks for joining!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby fender3x » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:40 am

Hoping to be able to chime in soon. I have my bass wired for both sc-outer and sc-inner...but the bridge pickup is dead. Just got the replacement, so all I need is some quality time with my soldering iron and I will be able to report... ;-)
fender3x

Postby adabeie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:22 pm

Ok, I saw a guy on Facebook who modded his L2K for outer single coils. He forwarded the wiring diagram (found here, btw) an sent the fateful encouraging words, 'it's easy!' Well.. he's in electrical tech by day anyway, and the closest I've gotten to soldering something pretty much stops at glue guns.

Should I stay away? Or is it likely that a guitar shop which can do all sorts of things (setup, refit nuts, refret, etc etc) will be able to add a bit of soldering to its list? The shop I'm thinking of is in Seoul, called G Cat, and has a sterling reputation for all sorts of things, including harder tasks like refretting, which I think would be risky. It's the go-to guitar and bass-tech place for pretty much any professional musician in Seoul. (Well, maybe not if you play cello in an orchestra, but you get the idea.)

But seriously... tempted by the single coil option.. fearful for the well-being of my ASAT.

Am I really only a three-way switch and some solder away from a world of single-coil wonder?

Dan
adabeie

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:57 pm

adabeie wrote:Ok, I saw a guy on Facebook who modded his L2K for outer single coils. He forwarded the wiring diagram (found here, btw) an sent the fateful encouraging words, 'it's easy!'

Not necessarily easy, but not too bad if you have some skill and a little experience. The quarters are cramped and the wires are small. Here's a little something I put together a while back that may help.

But seriously... tempted by the single coil option.. fearful for the well-being of my ASAT.

So long as you don't screw up the finish of the bass, it's all reversible.

Am I really only a three-way switch and some solder away from a world of single-coil wonder?

Pretty much.

Click the images for PDF versions suitable for high quality printing (photo paper is nice).

This is your ASAT's circuit as it now is. What you'd do is replace that big switch in the middle...

...with the big switch from this circuit.

It's important that EVERYTHING ELSE be left alone. The white leads leading off to the pickup select switch just get re-located to the new coil switch. Other than that, it's follow the colors. Kinda like paint by numbers, except with a soldering iron.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Experimental Bass Association