Vintage L-2000E ('81) on EBay

This is the support forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Discussion of pricing of used instruments (What's It Worth?) is perfectly fine so long as it doesn't turn into a sales feeler. However, as per G&L policy, there can be no discussion of new instrument pricing. Please contact your favorite dealer and kindly keep the quote to yourself.

Vintage L-2000E ('81) on EBay

Postby g_bell77 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:22 pm

Hello! I have been shopping around for G&L basses for a few months now, and haven't exactly found it easy to get my hands on them to play - they're not nearly as abundant as Fenders or even Music Man's. But I'm ready to buy! :) I have been playing a MIM P-Bass for > 10 years, as well as an old 1940 Kay Upright for the past couple years.

I've got my eye on one in particular on EBay that ends in a few hours - just wondering if someone can give me a quick valuation of what an '81 L-2000E in relatively good condition is worth in the current market. My Vintage Guitar Collector book says $800 - $950, but that was printed a couple years ago, before what I perceive to be an overall downward trend in the used market with the economy. (yeah?)

Here is a link to the bass: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... CA:US:1120

I know this opens up to me being outbid by putting it out here on this specialized board :) but hey - you guys are probably looking all the time anyway if you're in the market for one. I have put up what I believe to be a pretty good bid on it, but haven't yet met the reserve, and am reluctant to keep climbing on it (but I'm eager to get my hands on one at the same time!)

How high should I go on this one, from your experienced perspective?

I'm surprised the "Used" section of this board is completely empty. Any reason why? Just because of the minimum of 20 "regular" posts prior to soliciting?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.
g_bell77

Re: Vintage L-2000E ('81) on EBay

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:37 pm

g_bell77 wrote:Hello! I have been shopping around for G&L basses for a few months now, and haven't exactly found it easy to get my hands on them to play - they're not nearly as abundant as Fenders or even Music Man's. But I'm ready to buy! :) I have been playing a MIM P-Bass for > 10 years, as well as an old 1940 Kay Upright for the past couple years.

Welcome!

I've got my eye on one in particular on EBay that ends in a few hours - just wondering if someone can give me a quick valuation of what an '81 L-2000E in relatively good condition is worth in the current market. My Vintage Guitar Collector book says $800 - $950, but that was printed a couple years ago, before what I perceive to be an overall downward trend in the used market with the economy. (yeah?)

That pricing looks to be in there, though I'm no expert. That bass looks like it has a bunch of miles on it, so probably more toward the lower end of the price spectrum. There is less than 4 hours to go as I type this and the current bid is a super deal. May or may not last. Good luck!

How high should I go on this one, from your experienced perspective?

That's all about your comfort level. The seller could have a stupid-high reserve. You just don't know.

I'm surprised the "Used" section of this board is completely empty. Any reason why? Just because of the minimum of 20 "regular" posts prior to soliciting?

When this place was set up a year ago there were no sales forums, and it was by design. I wanted (and want) this to be a message board about basses, with no commercial interests and no one pounding on the members to buy or sell something. I didn't want a glorified point for advertising. I reluctantly added what we have now quite a ways down the road as a convenience to the members, with the only requirement that folks advertising take an active part in the board. Those forums have since caused me more grief than anything else and I'm weighing removing them. Okay - I'll quit whining.

So yeah - it's the 20 post thing. OTOH, I don't get people just stopping by to sell something.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Return to G&L Basses