g&L LB-100 vs G&L SB1

This is the support forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Discussion of pricing of used instruments (What's It Worth?) is perfectly fine so long as it doesn't turn into a sales feeler. However, as per G&L policy, there can be no discussion of new instrument pricing. Please contact your favorite dealer and kindly keep the quote to yourself.

g&L LB-100 vs G&L SB1

Postby ace81 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:54 am

Hi, my friends would buy a LB-100 bass guitar. what's the differences between LB-100 and SB1 models???? :o
my G&L gear:
-G&L Sb-1
-G&L L-2500
ace81

Re: g&L LB-100 vs G&L SB1

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:51 am

The old LB100 is similar to the split-pickup SB-1, except that the LB100 used a Schaller pickup rather than the in-house MFD.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Madcity Fats » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:02 am

First off, just so you're clear, there are actually two versions of the SB-1. The first was only made from 1982-84 and features a slab body (no arm or "tummy cut" contours) and a single coil J-style (though slightly larger dimensions) in the P-bass position "sweet spot." The second style (often referred to as "second generation"), introduced in '85, is a more traditional P-bass style with traditional body contours and a split-coil pickup. For the purposes of this comparison, I'll assume you're interested in the 2nd generation model.

Two major differences, really:

1) With very few exceptions, the SB-1 features a G&L patented Magnetic Field Design (MFD) split-coil pickup which is hotter and more aggressive than a typical P-bass pickup (though this can be tamed with simple manipulation of the volume and tone controls). The MFD has adjustable pole pieces. The exception to the rule is that the first of these basses produced (from 1985 to early '86) feature a Schaller PBX pickup (virtually identical to today's DiMarzio Model-P) instead of the MFD. The Schaller also features adjustable pole pieces but otherwise looks like the traditional, boxy P pup whereas the MFD has a more rounded profile along the top if you look at it carefully. The Schaller is a hot pickup as well, but closer in sound to a vintage P than the MFD. The LB-100 features a vintage-style Alnico magnet split-coil manufactured by Gotoh.

2) The body profiles are different. The SB-1 is somewhat downsized from the original P shape and slightly thinner front-to-back, whereas the LB-100 is a straight-up P-bass body. The pickguards are also slightly different as a result. The controls are laid out the same (typical volume/tone), but the placement is slightly different.

It's also worth noting that the LB-100 was originally called the Legacy Bass, but the name was changed early on because of a trademark issue with that name. The only difference between the Legacy Bass and the LB-100 (aside from production numbers) is the headstock decal.

Both are great basses. Hope this helps.
Madcity Fats

Postby Madcity Fats » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:03 am

D'oh! Timing is everything.

Ken, maybe I'm wrong, but I could have sworn the LB-100 was a Gotoh and not a Schaller. Perhaps both were used?
Madcity Fats

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:49 am

Madcity Fats wrote:D'oh! Timing is everything.

Ken, maybe I'm wrong, but I could have sworn the LB-100 was a Gotoh and not a Schaller. Perhaps both were used?

You're right! I was relying on (faulty) memory. Using Gagliano's website as a reference, this page says it was a Gotoh.

Still, I've seen Schaller split pickups on some old G&Ls. :roll:

Thanks!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Madcity Fats » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:40 am

As usual, GGJaguar for the win!

My SB-1 w/ a body date of 4/1/86 has the Schaller, which I figured was a mod when I picked the thing up (for a song, I might add). Greg's site was what hipped me to the fact that it was actually original to the bass. A great sounding pickup, too, though you won't hear me talking down the MFD.
Madcity Fats

Postby Deano » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:14 am

Just a small point of clarification. Some Legacy basses came out of the factory with a Kent Armstrong pickup, which has non-adjustable pole-pieces and a ceramic magnet.
Deano

Postby ace81 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:52 am

Thanks MADCITY FATS!! very thanks!! (yes, i supposed the SB-1 2thseries, with Split-coil)
my G&L gear:
-G&L Sb-1
-G&L L-2500
ace81

Postby fatherska » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:04 pm

I owned and played a 1989 SB-1 for 9 years. With that bass, the original vision for the Precision bass reached the pinnacle of its potential. It was the best P-bass possible. The pickup in particular puts out a very strong signal. It's hot. The SB-1 has a HUGE sound including clear, present highs, growly mids, and enormous low end.

The LB-100 I played a few times for a few minutes at instrument shops. Accounting for not plugging into my own amplification, I found the LB-100 an excellent reproduction of a Fender Precision at its best.

The SB-1 is a better bass insofar as you can hear and feel the advancement G&L made beyond the Fender Precision - especially with that split-coil MFD pickup, whose rounded edges feel better under the thumb, too.
Attachments
SB1l.JPG
SB1l.JPG (141.15 KiB) Viewed 2310 times
fatherska

Return to G&L Basses