Fallout Bass mod to PTB

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Fallout Bass mod to PTB

Postby ShortscaleRocks » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:50 pm

I completed a mod on my Tribute Fallout Bass this weekend using the wiring diagrams from this site for the L1000. A gentleman from Little Elm Texas, John Wainright, was able to build a stacked pair, 250k/1 Meg R.A., from CTS stock pots. He sells custom pots on Reverb.

What a difference this mod makes to the usabilty of the Fallout!

The one issue I would like assistance in solving is that when the bass tone knob is turned down toward 75% the volume drops dramatically.

Is this a normal thing for the L1000?
If not, any sugestions for problem solving?

Thanks,
Chris
ShortscaleRocks

Re: Fallout Bass mod to PTB

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:30 pm

ShortscaleRocks wrote:The one issue I would like assistance in solving is that when the bass tone knob is turned down toward 75% the volume drops dramatically.
Is this a normal thing for the L1000?
If not, any sugestions for problem solving?

Nope, not normal.

When you say that the volume drops drastically, do you mean just the low frequencies or the overall instrument? This can be a little tricky because the vast majority of sound from a bass is low frequency, so cutting the bass can seem like a volume cut.

I'll assume you've already quadruple-checked your work.

This has the feel of being the wrong taper on the bass pot. Should be 1MC (C is standard notation for Reverse Audio). Have you contacted Mr. Wainright?

Question: If there was a blue lead coming from the pickup to the cavity, what did you do with it?

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: Fallout Bass mod to PTB

Postby ShortscaleRocks » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:44 am

Hey, thanks for your reply.

As it turns out. All is good.
It appears that there is some interlinking with the volume knob and bass control.
Once I cut back less on the volume than before the mod the issue disappeared.

Also, spent some time on the eq of my rig and pedals for the 3 switch settings.
Bingo! I've found the improvements that I had hoped for going in.

Very usable tones on parallel, single coil and OMG modes.

Thanks for access and use of the wiring diagrams and info regarding caps & resistor values.

If anyone with a Fallout wants to source the 250k/1meg C stacked pots.....
Go on Reverb and Message 'John' at Wainright Guitars asking to have one built and he will set you up with one
ShortscaleRocks

Return to G&L Basses