L-2000 Series E

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

L-2000 Series E

Postby DrDomski » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:53 am

I recently acquired a new CLF Research L-2000, my first G&L - with which I am truly delighted.

Although the model is shown as an L-2000 on the specification sheet, the headstock also includes the marque 'Series-E'.

Can anyone fill me in on what makes a Series-E different from other L-2000? Is it unique to the CLF versions, or is a denomination which also applies to the Fullertons as well. Were there different A - D marques available previously?

Many thanks

Dom
DrDomski

Re: L-2000 Series E

Postby Primussucks9126 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:15 pm

I saw this on another forum:

"The E-Series designation comes from back in the day when G&L (allegedly, never seen one) built these in a purely passive version as well, "E" standing for electronic preamp."

This is one of the reissues, right? Maybe just period accurate labeling?
Primussucks9126

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:55 pm

Both the L-2000 and El Toro started out life as passive instruments, but only for a very short time. Very short. As in we know they exist but where the hell are they. The rarest of rarebirds.

Once G&L dropped in preamps, the affected basses were dubbed "Series E". For a very short time, though a bit longer than the existence of the passive basses.

There you go.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:34 pm

DrDomski wrote:I recently acquired a new CLF Research L-2000, my first G&L - with which I am truly delighted.

Congratulations and welcome to the addiction. :twisted:

Although the model is shown as an L-2000 on the specification sheet, the headstock also includes the marque 'Series-E'.

The "Series E" on the new headstocks is a nod to the past. See above.

Can anyone fill me in on what makes a Series-E different from other L-2000? Is it unique to the CLF versions, or is a denomination which also applies to the Fullertons as well. Were there different A - D marques available previously?

It is an L-2000. Always made in Fullerton, CA; as well as part of their import line, G&L Tribute.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby DrDomski » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:35 am

Ah, thank you very much for clearing that up.
DrDomski

Return to G&L Basses