MFD Humbucker Wiring Question

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

MFD Humbucker Wiring Question

Postby Primussucks9126 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:18 am

Hello! I just got an MIJ tribute L-2000!

A previous owner modded in a 4th 3 way switch. There's now one 3 way switch per pickup for individual splitting options. They did kind of a wonky job and I'm noticing some ground/phase issues, and one switch position on the bridge pickup switch functions as a kill.

I would like to wire one north coil/parallel/south coil and the other series/parallel/south coil.

Can anyone provide a diagram for this?

Thanks!
Primussucks9126

Re: MFD Humbucker Wiring Question

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:03 pm

All I have are a couple of passive circuits. Series/SingleCoil/Parallel for each pickup. Would work well with third party preamps.

Give 'em a look.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Primussucks9126 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:29 pm

This is incredibly helpful, and very much appreciated!! Thank you so much!
Primussucks9126

Postby Primussucks9126 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:08 pm

So I'm still having issues. The diagram says this is would allow for the outer coils, but it seems to give me the rear coils for both pickups.

I tried wiring the pickup to a switch and straight to a jack , bypassing all other electronics.

The pickups I have are 4 conductor. Green, yellow, white, black. I notice on G&L's store, they sell a pickup specifically designated for the K mod. Are these stock pickups somehow wired differently?

I've tried emailing g&l directly, but the repair email address just bounces back and regular CS hasn't gotten back to me.
Primussucks9126

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:09 pm

Primussucks9126 wrote:So I'm still having issues. The diagram says this is would allow for the outer coils, but it seems to give me the rear coils for both pickups.

I would verify that your wiring is correct.

The pickups I have are 4 conductor. Green, yellow, white, black. I notice on G&L's store, they sell a pickup specifically designated for the K mod. Are these stock pickups somehow wired differently?

The "Kurosawa" pickup is internally connected a tad differently and has an extra ground lead. They can be used here, but there is no need. The circuits I pointed you to do NOT use this pickup.

I've tried emailing g&l directly, but the repair email address just bounces back and regular CS hasn't gotten back to me.

I just checked and it seems their email system is down or partly down. Check again later.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Primussucks9126 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:36 pm

Thank you, I wired it as pictured, full circuit and had the initial issue.

After that I tried to wire just the neck pickup according the diagram, just using a (different) switch straight to the jack, but still, no luck.

I'll give it another shot tonight and re-verify that I have everything on the correct switch terminal.
Primussucks9126

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:04 pm

Also check that you have the correct switches. Part numbers are on the drawings.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Primussucks9126 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:18 pm

I definitely don't have that brand of switch, but it is a dpdt on/on/on switch.
Primussucks9126

Postby Primussucks9126 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:12 pm

Just checked again. I definitely have the neck pickup wired like the image. White wire and out to jack on the top first terminal. Green going to ground on the first bottom. Yellow on the top second row, black bottom.
Both terminals in the third row are connected and going to ground.

To my ears and screwdriver, I'm getting parallel, parallel, rear coil.

The wiring is haphazard while I'm testing things, but there is no cross contact going on between terminals.
Primussucks9126

Postby Primussucks9126 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:22 pm

Did some digging and found the diagram for the k mod. Those 2 terminals that get wired to eachother don't go to ground in that diagram.

That seems to have made all the difference. It seems like all is well now. I appreciate your multiple replies and suggestions.
Primussucks9126

Next

Return to G&L Basses