MFD Magnetic Pull

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

MFD Magnetic Pull

Postby jglunt2112 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:46 am

I recently resolved a problem with my newly-purchased-used Tribute Kiloton. During efforts to solve that mystery, I was told by a guitar-player friend of mine that the actual magnetic pull that an MFD pickup exerts on a string is less than that of a standard Alnico pickup. My friend is often right about things, but not about everything. Is he right about this? I ask because it might have a bearing on that problem that recently got resolved and the cobalt-wound flats that are on it.
jglunt2112

Re: MFD Magnetic Pull

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:13 pm

First off - I have no idea which magnet is more powerful; it's all in how they're made. That's only part of the story at any rate.

Theoretically, neodymium magnets are the strongest around (bass pickups), but I don't hear of unplanned magnetic string damping from the EBMM folk. Nor have I seen it with my Bongo. AlNiCo has pole sizes all over the board, and they don't seem to be affected too much by magnetic damping. I have heard of rare instances where folks get their MFDs to high, and all it does is deaden the strings. Magnetic damping is just a user issue in how to set pickup height.

The pickups don't just place a magnetic field around the strings, the field can be shaped by the properties of the poles and their ability to project the field. I've had it explained to me that the MFD projects wide fields around the individual strings, which goes a long way toward explaining the midrange bite and rich harmonics. Note that the magnets for AlNiCo and neo pickups are the poles that you see. The MFD's single manget is on the bottom and the pole pieces are adjustable soft iron.

This would not have any affect on your string issue. If you had the pickup too close, you'd get two things: (1) An excessively loud and difficult to control bass and (2) Damped strings.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: MFD Magnetic Pull

Postby jglunt2112 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:23 am

Well explained, Ken. Thank you.
jglunt2112

Return to G&L Basses