Strings for your G&L

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Re: Strings for your G&L

Postby _MRB2112_ » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:33 pm

I'm really liking D'Addario NYXL 45105 strings on my L-2000.I like rounds that are a little on the bright side, but not too bright. These have been great, and they last awhile longer than some others I've tried, such as Ernie Ball and Rotosounds. I'd recommend them.

With my L2K in preamp on, no treble boost, series mode, both pickups on, playing between the pickups, I get a nice fat bottomed tone with a bit of growl, which I really like. For some things I'll use the preamp on with treble boost, series again but only the bridge pickup on, playing right over the bridge pickup with the bass knob rolled off to about 3/4 treble knob rolled off very slightly and the sound is really tight and articulate. Treble boost off, series, and neck pickup only, bass knob dimed, treble rolled off to about 3/4, again playing between the pickups, and I get a sound that reminds me of a P bass.

Point being as related to strings, these handle all settings really well. I'm very happy with them and I'd suggest trying them if you are looking for strings for your MFD beast.
_MRB2112_

Postby Skyblue977 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:49 am

I had my luthier (he was doing some fret work & new nut) chuck a set of Infield IN344's on my L2K yesterday.
First time I've used them but I'm impressed.
Pricey, but lovely tone, feel, tension & versatile

I've had this L2K for 17 years and it's never sounded or played this good.
Skyblue977

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:14 am

Skyblue977 wrote:I had my luthier (he was doing some fret work & new nut) chuck a set of Infield IN344's on my L2K yesterday.
First time I've used them but I'm impressed.
Pricey, but lovely tone, feel, tension & versatile

I've had this L2K for 17 years and it's never sounded or played this good.

A couple things:

1. They way they sound now is the way they'll sound down the road. Very little breakin.

2. They last a long time. Kinda offsets the price.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Skyblue977 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:35 am

I'm loving these things Ken, couldn't put the bass down last night.
Any experience with them on an SB-2 or an M-2500?
They both currently sport MJC Ironworks nickels, which are really good but sadly no longer manufactured.
Skyblue977

Postby jglunt2112 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:12 am

I have a set of the TI Jazz Flats on one of my basses, a rather unusual and heavily modded "other brand," that has a meranti body with a single Lace Alumitone pickup, 3-band active EQ, and an "alternative" tuning system. They feel like satin and sound rich and full, but lack the punch of roundwounds, and even the punch of Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats. While I like the smooth sound for a change of pace, my personal taste runs more to the punchy side. I don't know if the smooth sound these strings produce is their own characteristic or if it's because of the bass that they're on. They're pretty pricey to experiment with on other basses, though Amazon has what might be considered a reasonable price on them. I'll post a link below. Don't be fooled by the "accordion accessory" reference. I don't know what that's all about. And these are packaged in the European packaging, but according to Thomastik-Infeld it's the real deal as only packaging for the US is the yellow packaging.

https://www.amazon.com/Thomastik-Infeld ... _rp_0_22_i
jglunt2112

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:07 pm

Skyblue977 wrote:I'm loving these things Ken, couldn't put the bass down last night.
Any experience with them on an SB-2 or an M-2500?
They both currently sport MJC Ironworks nickels, which are really good but sadly no longer manufactured.

I have them on an old, but gen 2, SB-2. Most excellent!

I also have them on a modded L-2500, which is like a hot version of the M-2500. Also most excellent.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Ricky Rioli » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:04 am

I've enjoyed D'addario Pro Steels for a while, always paired with a Dimarzio Model P pickup. They have a reputation for being a bit chilly in character, which I've always queried, a bit.

I now have them on my SB-1 — and the warmth of the MFD is not at all diminished by them. Strong clear sound with character and versatility. I use a funny 50-65-85-110 custom set, but they do a 45-65-85-105 set (EPS165)
Ricky Rioli

Postby jglunt2112 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:24 am

About 3 months ago, I put a set of GHS Pressurewounds on my SB-2. At first, I was completely underwhelmed. They didn't have much depth or growl at all, and when you can say that about an SB-2, something is seriously wrong. I almost pulled them off right away, but some folks urged me to be patient with them. Last week, I played that bass at a 4-night gig, a length that is unusual for me these days. Wow, what a great sound it had! I think it's a combination of things that took me so long to appreciate them. First, they have an unusually long break-in period. Second, they have an unusual winding. The winding material is Alloy 52, which is very sensitive to the pickup. Third, they have a unique sound. They sound similar but not exactly like, a roundwound. Fourth, they feel unique to play. They have more finger noise than a flatwound, but have a flatwound's comfort to play. They have less finger noise than a roundwound. All in all, if you have patience, I highly recommend these strings.
jglunt2112

Postby OrganMeat » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:39 pm

Are there any fans of tapewound strings here? I have an LB-100 Tribute modded with SB-1 MFD split coil pickup. I recently put on Labella White tapes, but initially I was disappointed with the sound. After a few days of play and a bit of EQ adjustment, I think that the strings broke in. I am really thrilled with the results. They sound and feel great, and have almost the same brightness that nickel rounds offer - with a lot less noise from my fingers moving position.
OrganMeat

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:58 pm

OrganMeat wrote:... and have almost the same brightness that nickel rounds offer

That's kind of surprising. The last set of tapewounds I used was back in the 70s on a Hofner and I don't recall that thing you called brightness.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to G&L Basses