El Toro bass pot - all or nothing?

This is the support forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Discussion of pricing of used instruments (What's It Worth?) is perfectly fine so long as it doesn't turn into a sales feeler. However, as per G&L policy, there can be no discussion of new instrument pricing. Please contact your favorite dealer and kindly keep the quote to yourself.

El Toro bass pot - all or nothing?

Postby neepheid » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:04 am

Hi folks

I've just acquired an El Toro and it is quite a beast. However, one thing I have noticed is that the bass pot is acting more like a switch than a pot. Full on and you get lashings of bass, but there's this definite point about 20% of the way round where the bass just "disappears" and the travel after that seems to have little or no effect. I've tried squirting some Servisol in the pots and giving them a good wind back and forth, but while that did chase out the crackles it has not helped with this behaviour. Do you think there's something wrong with the pot? Time to source a new 1 Meg reverse log?

The other thing I've noticed is that the active preamp is pretty noisy when the treble is up full - and curiously the hiss comes through the amp even when the volume is turned down to zero. It's fine if you have the treble at around 80%. I did read somewhere that someone replaced their opamp chip, might this help?

Don't worry, I'll get some pics up soon :)

Thanks

Matt
neepheid

Re: El Toro bass pot - all or nothing?

Postby deltafred » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi Matt

The bass pot problem sounds like the wiper leaving the track or a broken track, so all you have to pass the signal is a small capacitor. This would have a similar effect to turning the bass right down at the point where the problem starts.

The volume pot is before the preamp so any noise the preamp generates is passed straight to the amplifier regardless of the pot position.

It is however puzzling that the Treble control affects the noise no matter where the volume pot is set because at minimum volume it should be isolated from the preamp. It could be that you also have a faulty volume pot.

Once you have the pots working as they should the noise may disappear. If not it could be generated by the opamp but it could be a capacitor or resistor. (Fault diagnosis over the net is usually hit and miss).

The only thing I would change the opamp for is one of the same type (others may disagree but I would like to hear their technical reasoning).

fred
deltafred

Re: El Toro bass pot - all or nothing?

Postby neepheid » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:29 am

Cheers for the reply.

An update: I have sourced a 1Meg reverse audio pot from Germany. Couldn't find any source in the UK that didn't want to charge me 10x the price of the pot for postage. G&L in the US got back to me within a day, but postage was a little prohibitive also. UK distributor (Go To Guitars?) was useless - never returned my email :(

Will also replace the IC as a matter of course, costs a few buttons and can't do any harm.
neepheid

Return to G&L Basses